Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Chili and Cornbread

I am telling you, this chili is my favorite food. I can't get enough of it and neither can Micah.

Angela's Chili
1 can of Nalley's vegetarian chili (I had to use Hormel brand today and wasn't too pleased)
1/4 pound ground beef
2 tomatoes
1/4 onion
1 bushel of cilantro
1 or 2 limes

All those measurements are just guesses. I usually make about twice that much just so we can have leftovers. Chop the tomatoes, onions and cilantro and put them in a saucepan. Heat for a few minutes so the flavors meld together. Then add the canned chili and ground beef (that you have already cooked separately). Warm it all up and chow down! At the end, squeeze lime in it until it tastes as delicious as you want it to (I think the limes and cilantro are the secret to how great this tastes)

Grandma Mary's Cornbread
Beat together:
2 eggs
1/3 c. sugar
3/4 c. milk
1/3 c. oil

Add
1 1/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 c. cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder

Bake on 400 for 20 minutes!

I like to put the cornbread directly in my chili, but to each his own :)

*For those of you who say you don't like tomatoes or onions (ahem...Sarah...), just try this anyway. The onions are not crunchy, the tomatoes don't stand out, it's just GOOD FOOD.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I want to try it but I haven't found any good brands of canned chili out here though!

    ReplyDelete